Hardscapes in Gainesville
At J.W. Lawncare Inc, we believe that the hardscapes in your landscaping design are just as important as the living, softscape elements. Although the shrubs, flowers and lawn soften the edges and make outdoor spaces in Gainesville more enjoyable, the hardscapes – think patios, walls and fences – are what turn your yard into a functional place to entertain and relax. In addition, the visual appeal of the materials used can’t be beat when it comes to naturalistic textures and colors. Here are some of the facets we can help you with when you partner with J.W. Lawncare Inc for your hardscaping needs.
Interspersed with living plants, furniture and decorative elements, hardscaping lends practicality to an otherwise unstructured space. It’s nice to explore a well-landscaped yard, but without paths and privacy features, it can be difficult for you to enjoy exterior areas for long periods. These are some of the vital aspects that turn your yard from a OK space into an ideal place to relax in while surrounded by nature:
- Paved areas: These can be patios or decks, driveways or walking paths. Hardscapes offer a subtle yet clear indication where feet are allowed to tread.
- Walls: Either decorative or functional, walls are important for delineating space. Many are also structural, such as retaining walls that corral the natural landscape.
- Water features: Most of these decorative features include rocks and other stone work and can be the centerpiece of your landscape.
- Stairways: Steps grant you safer access to all corners of your yard or outdoor space.
- Fences: They make good neighbors while granting privacy for you and your guests as well.
- Pergolas: These attractive structures offer a protected architectural place to enjoy the sun.
Materials That Beautify Your Outdoor Space
The colors and textures found in hardscaping materials and stone work add a level of beauty to any Gainesville yard, no matter which ones you choose to incorporate into the design. Consider these materials when planning your next project:
- Concrete: Current techniques in stamping and staining elevate this grey staple into a resource for high design.
- Wood: Available in myriad colors and grains, wood is a top choice if you appreciate naturalistic elements. In addition, it can be treated to last for decades despite weather exposure.
- Brick: Masonry of all kinds can be pressed into service as intricate patio pavers, seating, walls or other essential yard components.
- Stone: Slate tiles, decorative boulders or cozy rock fire pits all fit nicely into an ideal landscape design. Outdoor kitchens can benefit from the durability of quartz countertops.
- Metal: From wrought iron gates to modernist benches, the shimmer of metal brings elegance to any outdoor space. When you picture a beautiful yard in your mind, chances are that metal elements are part of the vision.
Principles of Hardscape Design
In a field as subjective as landscape design, it can be very tempting to say that there are no rules. However, the experts at J.W. Lawncare Inc. have completed enough hardscaping projects to know that there are certain principles that need to be respected. Otherwise, there is a high probability that your hardscapes won’t turn out the way you envisioned them.
Even though the plants you have chosen for your landscape may be beautiful in and of themselves, the human eye needs an anchor to rest on separate from the plant life. Plants are inherently complex and can often times be overwhelming for an eye to digest, especially if it’s the first time it has had the pleasure of surveying the landscape.
It is hardscaping that serves as this much-needed anchor to make any landscape in the Gainesville area digestible and esthetically pleasing. When eyes are free to wander into the tangled foliage with the knowledge that they can return to a simple, inanimate hardscape feature for rest is the balance a well-executed landscape design requires.
Whether you are aware of it or not, hardscapes provide an important contrast in any garden that features them. We intrinsically know that plants get planted, grow and eventually die. The softscape elements of your landscape, i.e., anything that is made out of organic material, is transient. A durable stone wall will outlive everything in the garden, which should project a certain comfort to onlookers because it provides permanence. This contrast, while operating on a highly subconscious level, is important in landscape design. Landscapes that lack it often have a feeling that something is missing.
Because hardscape elements stand out from foliage so well, you may only need one thing depending on the size of your commercial or residential yard. Whether you want that to be a statue, a retaining wall, a small Koi pond, a birdbath or a large rock is ultimately your choice. But more often than not, restraint with hardscape elements is the way to go. After all, the goal is not to detract from the plant life in the landscape. Hardscaping is there to accent and complement the plant life. It’s there to add dimension to the garden. If you are musical, the plants are the melody and the hardscaping is the harmony.
Beyond these more abstract principles of hardscape design, one practical thing that we advise our clients to consider before they commit wholeheartedly to a hardscaping idea is that it’s always better to let nature inform your selection. For example, if your property has a slope, your first impulse might be to correct it with a retaining wall. The end result could very well end up looking unnatural and ugly. Why not instead use the slope to your advantage and install a waterfall instead?
There are options abound in the exciting world of hardscaping. And J.W. Lawncare Inc.’s team has plenty of experience creating all kinds of hardscapes, so if you would like to discuss some ideas, please feel free to give us a call today at (352) 225-1917.
Start Your Project Today
Our staff at J.W. Lawncare Inc is ready to help you get started on your hardscaping projects. From traditional wooden decks to slate tile patios, we can help you envision the possibilities and then see the project through to the end. Give us a call today and learn more about transforming your yard into the outdoor oasis of your dreams.